Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Glazed Chicken with Apple Salad




Dear Readers,

I am so sorry that I have been MIA for the past week and a half! Things have been very busy and unfortunately I ended up slacking on the blog. :-( I should be back into my routine now though!

Tonight's recipe was so delicious! Here is a picture of my pretty julienne apple strips:

The cookbook describes how to julienne an apple: cut apple into quarters; set cut side down and cut out core at an angle. Thinly slice apple lengthwise; cut slices into thin strips.

This recipe had a great flavor to it! It was also very light - I felt satisfied afterward but I didn't feel stuffed. The combination of the cider vinegar, apply jelly and mayonnaise was delicious! It paired very well with the apple jelly, mustard and brown sugar glaze that went on the chicken. The cookbook also says that you can substitute the apply jelly with apricot jam if you'd like, which I imagine would be quite tasty as well. You can also substitute the stone-ground mustard with Dijon mustard. 

I forgot to get watercress at the store, but I had some baby spinach leaves in the fridge, so I used that instead. The spinach worked great! Everything paired together very well and was full of flavor!

If you do not have a Grill Pan, then you can cook the chicken however you'd like, in my opinion. I don't have a Grill Pan, so I cooked our chicken on our George Foreman Grill. I'm sure any cooking method would work for the chicken, as long as you brush the chicken with the glaze during the last minute of cooking. 

It says that this recipe only takes 26 minutes from beginning to end, but I'm going to go ahead and tell you that unless you as a master chef, then it will take you a little bit longer. Definitely worth it though! 


Glazed Chicken with Apple Salad
Published by The Pampered Chef, Ltd. in 2007.

Total time: 26 minutes  Yield: 4 servings

Dressing and Apple Salad
2 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp apple jelly
1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1 Granny Smith apple
1 red apple such as Jonathan, McIntosh or Gala
1/2 cup lightly packed watercress plus additional for serving

Chicken and Glaze
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4-6 oz each)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tbsp apple jelly
1 tsp prepared stone-ground mustard
1 tbsp brown sugar

1. For dressing, mix together vinegar, jelly and mayonnaise in Measure, Mix & Pour; set aside. For salad, slice apples into julienne strips. Remove leaves from watercress stems (discard stems); coarsely chop watercress leaves. Combine apples and watercress in Classic Batter Bowl; set aside.
2. For chicken, heat Grill Pan over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Meanwhile, flatten chicken to an even thickness using Meat Tenderizer. Brush with oil and season with salt and black pepper. Cook chicken 4-6 minutes or until grill marks appear. Turn chicken over; cook 4-6 minutes or until center of chicken is no longer pink.
3. While chicken is cooking, prepare glaze. Combine jelly, mustard and brown sugar in Prep Bowl. Brush chicken with glaze during last minute of cooking.
4. To serve, arrange additional watercress on serving plates, if desired. Pour dressing over salad just before serving; toss to coat. Top watercress with salad and chicken.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home