Monday, August 15, 2011

Peel & Eat Barbecue Prawns (with Corn Relish)







My 20th post! Woohoo! I couldn't think of a better recipe to do for my 20th post. This recipe was delicious! I was pretty sad when I realized I had cleaned my plate and there was no more! This will definitely go high on my list of recipes to do again soon.

The recipe calls for the Pampered Chef Smoky Barbecue Rub. I was very fortunate this past weekend - my wonderful mother-in-law gave me a ton of the Pampered Chef rubs. So excited!! If you do not have the special Pampered Chef rubs, then you can find different brands of rubs in the grocery store by the other seasonings. But, I'm not gonna lie to you - this Pampered Chef Smoky Barbecue Rub was goooooood!! :-)

The sauce that the shrimp marinated in gave the shrimp several layers of flavor. As I ate the shrimp, I first got the smokey grilled flavor, then came the barbecue, and on about the third or fourth bite came the hot sauce. I love when food or drink has so much flavor and comes in waves like that. I feel it helps you appreciate each individual flavor before it all comes together. It was just enough hot sauce to give it a little kick. If you're a fan of hot sauce, feel free to add even more!

The shrimp was also very juicy! I was a little confused as to why the recipe called to leave the shells on the shrimp, but Pampered Chef anticipated my question. There is a side note in the cookbook that keeping the shells on shrimp helps to keep them moist and heightens their flavor during grilling. Another side notes states that double skewers keep the shrimp from spinning when you turn them on the grill.

The corn relish complimented the shrimp quite well, and had its own unique yummy taste. I never thought to mix corn, red pepper and onion in coleslaw dressing. Brilliant! Instead of buying prepared coleslaw dressing, I made the homemade version that is listed in the cookbook. I listed that under the ingredients below.

Enjoy!


Peel & East Barbecue Prawns (with Corn Relish)
Published by The Pampered Chef, Ltd. in 2008.
Prep time: 20 minutes  Total time: 30 minutes  Yield: 4 servings

Shrimp
2 tbsp Smoky Barbecue Rub
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Louisiana hot sauce
2 garlic cloves, pressed
16 jumbo uncooked, shell-on shrimp (13-15 per pound), devined
8 12-in. bamboo skewers

Corn Relish
4 ears fresh corn, husks and silk removed, or 3 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/2 medium red bell pepper
2 green onions with tops (about 1/2 cup sliced)
3 tbsp prepared coleslaw dressing (or combine 3 tbsp mayonnaise, 1 tsp cider vinegar, 1 tsp sugar and 1/8 tsp salt)

1. Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat. For shrimp, combine rub, oil, hot sauce and garlic pressed with Garlic Press in Stainless (4-qt.) Mixing Bowl. Add shrimp; toss to coat and refrigerate until ready to grill.
2. For relish, cut off ends of ears of corn, creating a flat base. Stand upright on cutting board and remove kernels with Santoku Knife. Dice bell pepper and slice green onions. Combine corn, bell pepper, green onions and coleslaw dressing in Classic Batter Bowl. Cover and refrigerate. 
3. Lay shrimp flat on Cutting Board; thread four pieces of shrimp evenly down length of one skewer. Holding shrimp steady, insert a second skewer parallel to the first skewer. Repeat with remaining shrimp and six additional skewers.
4. Grill shrimp 3 minutes or until shells are blackened on one side. Turn using BBQ Tongs; grill 3-5 minutes or until shells are blackened and shrimp are opaque throughout. Serve shrimp with relish.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home