Thursday, August 11, 2011

Swedish-Style Turkey Meatballs


I have to say, I was pretty dang pleased with myself tonight! This recipe was great! It was a night of firsts for me. This was the fist time I have ever made homemade meatballs, the first time I have made Swedish meatballs, and the first time I have ever even HAD Swedish meatballs.

Because I have never had Swedish meatballs before, I don't have anything to compare this recipe to. But, it tasted delicious! I like ground turkey over ground beef, so I was excited that that was what the recipe called for. The recipe was really easy to follow, even for someone like me who has never made meatballs before. I really don't have any extra explaining to do. If you just follow exactly what the recipe says then you will be good to go!

If you do not have the Pampered Chef Cinnamon Plus Spice Blend, then you can find Allspice in any grocery store. One note that the cookbook shares: "As the flour and butter are whisked in the Skillet, the browned bits left over from cooking the meatballs are incorporated, adding flavor. Whisking until the mixture forms a smooth paste prevents lumps from forming in the sauce." And there really was a lot of flavor in this dish! The spices and onion mixed together with the ground turkey produced some very tasty meatballs!

The recipe suggests making boiled fingerling potatoes to go with the meatballs. I have never heard of a fingerling potato and had to google it! However, like many things so far, my grocery store did not have fingerling potatoes. I just got some russet potatoes instead and cut those up and followed the same directions for the fingerling potatoes. I also sprinkled some salt, pepper and parsley on the potatoes right before I served them.

I am definitely going to have to make this again very soon! It is too delicious not to!


Swedish-Style Turkey Meatballs
Pampered Chef 29 Minutes to Dinner, Volume 2
Published by The Pampered Chef, Ltd. in 2009.

Total time: 25 minutes  Yield: 4 servings

1 medium onion
2 slices day-old French bread (1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs)
1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp Cinnamon Plus Spice Blend or all spice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp butter
1 can (14 oz) beef broth
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Boiled Fingerling Potatoes (optional, see below)

1. Finely chop onion and bread using Food Chopper. Combine onion, bread crumbs, turkey, egg, spice blend, salt and black pepper in Classic Batter Bowl; mix gently but thoroughly with Mix 'N Scraper. Heat oil in (12-in.) Skillet over medium heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Using rounded Medium Scoop, form turkey mixture into 20 meatballs. Place meatballs in Skillet; cook 6-8 minutes or until browned, turning once using Small Slotted Turner. Remove from Skillet; set aside.
2. Add flour and butter to Skillet, whisking to form a smooth paste using Silicone Flat Whisk. Slowly add broth and cream, stirring constantly; cook 1-2 minutes or until sauce comes to a simmer. Return meatballs to Skillet; cook, covered, 4-5 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink in the centers.
3. To serve, divide meatballs and sauce among serving plates; serve with potatoes, if desired.

Boiled Fingerling Potatoes
Slice 1 lb fingerling potatoes in half lengthwise. Place potatoes, 1 tsp salt and enough water to cover in Large Micro-Cooker. Microwave on high 10-12 minutes or until fork-tender.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home