Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Fresh Strawberry Granita



I really enjoy having people over and cooking for them and entertaining. It makes me really happy! I love the whole process of getting the apartment ready, planning out what to prepare, lighting candles in the different rooms, making people comfortable and making sure they have a good time in our home. I love all of it!! 

Tonight, my father-in-law came over for dinner! I wanted to fix something I had already made before so that I knew it would turn out alright and would know what to do already. The dinner I made, I have already posted in my blog. I made Chicken with Dijon Vin Blanc Sauce with Mashed Sweet Potatoes. (Clicking on the names of the recipes will take you to my blog post for those recipes.) But, I added a new recipe tonight for dessert - Fresh Strawberry Granita!

The Fresh Strawberry Granita was very yummy! It was really easy to make, but does take some time. The recipe calls for 2 tbsp vodka. I MAY have added more than that. I think my hand slipped a little :-) It is a very nice, light, refreshing treat! Perfect for a warm summer evening! 

A few notes from the cook book: 1) Granita is a frozen mixture of water, sugar and flavorings. It is frequently stirred during the freezing process to produce a fine icy texture. 2) The syrup is stirred during the freezing process to keep the ice crystals large. Mixing the syrup more often will result in a smoother granita. The vodka that is added to the syrup prevents the granita from freezing as hard, but can be omitted. 3) Frozen unsweetened strawberries can be substituted for fresh, if desired. 4) This recipe can be easily doubled and can be stored in the freezer, tightly covered, for up to 3 months.
Try it out before summer is over!


Fresh Strawberry Granita
Published by The Pampered Chef, Ltd. in 2006.
Prep time: 15 minutes  Total time: About 3 hours, 15 minutes  Yield: 4 servings

3/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound strawberries, hulled
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons currant-flavored or plain vodka
Additional sliced strawberries and vodka (optional)

1. Combine water, sugar and salt in (2-qt.) Saucepan. Cook over low heat 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Place strawberries in blender container or food processor. Cover; blend until smooth. Add pureed strawberries, lemon juice and vodka to sugar syrup; mix well. Pour strawberry mixture into Stainless (2-qt.) Mixing Bowl.
2. Place strawberry mixture in freezer; freeze 2-3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes with Silicone Sauce Whisk until completely frozen and mixture appears finely chopped. Cover; freeze until ready to serve. if desired, serve with additional sliced strawberries and drizzle with additional vodka.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home