Thursday, May 17, 2012

Easy Crunchy Mustard-Baked Salmon



I honestly don't have a whole lot to say tonight about this recipe. Don't get me wrong, it was very good! It just didn't knock my socks off or anything like that.

I love salmon, so I assumed I would like this recipe. The Dijon mustard added a nice flavor to the fish, and the crunchy top added another dynamic to the dish that was enjoyable.

I didn't use the broiler, as the recipe directed. I'm not sure where this stems from, but I have weird feelings about using the broiler. Maybe I had a bad experience that I already blocked out of my memory. Anyways, instead of using the broiler, I preheated the oven to 425°F and baked the salmon (with the topping on top of the salmon) for about 12-15 minutes. I also didn't spread butter on the bottom of the salmon and cook it in a skillet. I just mixed the topping mixture together, spread it on top, and put it in the oven to bake. And it turned out great!

It was a very easy, healthy (and yummy) recipe, so if that is what you're looking for then you should definitely give this a try!

Easy Crunchy Mustard-Baked Salmon

Total time: 15 minutes  Yield: 2 servings

2 slices high quality white sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into rough chunks
2 boneless skinless salmon filets, about 6 ounces each
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for the salmon
1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

1. Preheat the broiler to high and adjust rack to 6 inches below the element. Pulse bread in the bowl of a food processor until coarse crumbs are created, about 10 to 12 one-second pulses. Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon butter, both mustards, and thyme, pinching the mixture together so the butter is incorporated and the mixture sticks together. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Spread the bottom of each fillet of salmon with a thin layer of butter. Preheat a medium skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add salmon buttered-side down and cook without moving until a nice crust has formed, about 2 minutes. Pile the crumbs on the salmon, then transfer to the broiler. Broil until the crumbs are crunchy and browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home