Sunday, April 29, 2012

Caprese Salad



I don't have much to say about this recipe besides OH MY GOD THIS WAS SO GOOD!!!

I am biased though. Tomatoes and cheese are two of my favorite foods ever. You could have just given me the tomato and cheese alone and I would have been excited. But the other components of the recipe just made it so, so incredible! This was the first time I have reduced balsamic vinegar. I had actually never even heard of reducing balsamic vinegar to a syrupy consistency until just the other month when it was presented to me at one of our new favorite local restaurants. I thought to myself at the time, "Why have I spent the last 26 years of my life never experiencing this before, and how can I get more."

It is quite simple to reduce balsamic vinegar, I have learned. Just earlier today I posted a Portobello, Red Pepper & Goat Cheese Pizza recipe. When I was making that pizza, I thought to myself how much it would set this pizza apart if only I had some balsamic vinegar reduction. Alas, the recipe I looked at for a balsamic vinegar reduction said the process took 2+ hours and I just didn't have the time for that last week when I made that pizza.

When I was planning tonight's dinner though, I wanted to make a Caprese Salad because we got some amazingly plump, red and juicy tomatoes at the farmer's market yesterday morning and I wanted to put them to good use. I just couldn't believe though that the only way to make a balsamic vinegar reduction took 2+ hours. So, I expanded my research.

I came across this wonderfully simply recipe that is exactly what I was looking for. It is simple, straight to the point, and produces a magnificent flavor that made me want to savor every single bite. I have no doubt that I could eat this at every meal, every single day.

Caprese Salad
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/caprese-salad/

Prep time: 5 minutes  Cook time: 20 minutes  Yield: 8 servings

2 cups Balsamic Vinegar
2 whole Ripe Tomatoes, Sliced Thick
12 ounces, weight Mozzarella Cheese, Sliced Thick
Fresh Basil Leaves
Olive Oil, For Drizzling
Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper

1. In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil over medium-low heat. Cook for 10-20 minutes, or until balsamic has reduced to a thicker glaze. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl or cruet. Allow to cool.
2. When you're ready to serve, arrange tomato and mozzarella slices on a platter. Arrange basil leaves between the slices. Drizzle olive oil over the top of the salad, getting a little bit on each slice. Do the same with the balsamic reduction, making designs if you want. Store extra balsamic reduction in fridge for a later use.
3. End with a sprinkling of kosher salt and black pepper. Serve as a lunch, with crusty bread, or serve alongside a beef main course for dinner.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home