Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sweet 'n' Tangy Pork Chops


I mentioned a few weeks ago that I would be posting more quick and easy recipes because my husband and I are doing an 8 week boot camp through the gym and we don't get home until 7:15pm. This was a perfect quick and easy recipe for tonight! (This will also be a quick and easy post because I'm tired! Haha!) :-)

You could definitely taste the contrasting sweet and tangy flavors in this dish. Neither was too overpowering over the other - perfectly balanced, in my opinion! I did add a little extra crushed red pepper flakes than what the recipe calls for. (Who am I??? I used to hate hot/spicy food! I guess all of this cooking has been broadening my taste in food!) The fresh, uncooked peppers added an enjoyable dynamic to the dish. I came close to going against the cookbook and sauteing the peppers, but I'm so glad I didn't do that! The fresh taste and little crunch they added to the dinner was great. We just made some brown rice to go with the pork chops, which was an excellent side dish to all of these different flavors in the pork and sauce. Quite a delicious and enjoyable meal!

Sweet 'n' Tangy Pork Chops
Taste of Home: Everyday Light Meals
Published by Reiman Media Group, LLC. in 2010.

Prep/Total time: 25 minutes  Yield: 4 servings

1/4 cup sherry or chicken broth
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 boneless pork loin chops (4 ounces each)
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup diced green pepper
1/4 cup diced sweet red pepper

1. In a bowl, combine the sherry or broth, brown sugar, soy sauce and red pepper flakes; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet, brown pork chops in oil. Top with sauce. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until meat juices run clear.
2. Combine the cornstarch and water until smooth; add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Garnish with diced peppers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home