Monday, August 13, 2012

Grilled Fish Tacos



I took two pictures - one of my fish tacos, and one of the picture in the cookbook of the fish tacos. I think that I was so hungry by the time dinner was ready and I was getting my picture, that I didn't take as much time and care as I usually do to get a good picture of the dish, which resulted in a terrible picture. My picture doesn't do the recipe justice - it was a delicious meal!

The cookbook says that this recipe only takes 24 minutes to fix. That is a lie. I think a big reason why it took me so long to fix is because it took me a while to cut everything up. Once everything is prepped, it didn't take long to fix, but that was a major part of the process. The fish didn't take long to cook at all. The grocery store didn't have any cod, so I got tilapia instead. It tasted excellent! Just seasoning the tilapia with a little bit of black pepper was perfect - the flavor of the fish really came through and tasted great!

The sauce was really good as well. As I was putting each taco together, I wasn't sure how far the sauce would go, so I only put a little on each taco. I ended up having plenty left over, and I think the tacos could have used a little more sauce, so don't be shy with it when you're putting it all together. 

A few notes from the cookbook: 1) Napa cabbage is a mild-flavored cabbage with tight, compact head of yellow green leaves that are ruffled at the top, 2) Shredded cabbage is traditionally served in fish tacos. Here, napa cabbage is used for its lacy and tender texture, but the more readily available green cabbage can be used, and 3) If desired, tilapia fillets can be substituted for the cod fillets.

I roasted some zucchini and squash to go with the main dish. I love roasting vegetables! All you have to do is brush a little olive oil on the veggies, sprinkle them with some salt and pepper, and pop them in the oven at around 400° or so until they start browning - delicious! Overall, a healthy, wonderful meal that you don't want to miss out on! Give it a try!

Grilled Fish Tacos
Published by The Pampered Chef, Ltd. in 2009.

Total time: 24 minutes  Yield: 4 servings

2 limes, divided
2 plum tomatoes, seeded
1 small onion
1/3 cup snipped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp milk
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage, green tips only
1 avocado
8 (6-in.) corn tortillas
1 lb skinless cod fillets
1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper

1. Juice limes using Juicer to measure 1/4 cup juice. Dice tomatoes and chop onion using Santoku Knife. Snip cilantro using Kitchen Spears. For sauce, in Small Batter Bowl, combine 2 tbsp of the lime juice, mayonnaise, milk and pressed garlic; whisk until smooth. For salsa, combine remaining lime juice, tomatoes, onion, cilantro and salt in Classic Batter Bowl; mix well. Thinly slice cabbage. Peel, seed and thinly slice avocado.
2. Heat Grill Pan over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Lightly spray tortillas with vegetable oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Place half of the tortillas onto pan; cook 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once using Saute Tongs. Place tortillas in Large Micro-Cooker; cover and keep warm. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
3. Lightly spray same pan with vegetable oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Season cod with black pepper. Place cod onto pan; cook 5-8 minutes or until cod flakes easily with a fork, turning once. Remove cod from pan, flake into bite-size pieces. Top tortillas with cabbage, cod, sauce, salsa and avocado slices as desired.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home