Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Baked-Eggplant Parmesan




I'm pretty sure the pictures alone can describe how delicious this recipes was...

I'm just going to let you sit here and look at those for a minute...

When I look back at all of the recipes I've made in the past, it seems like I make a lot of Italian-style dishes. At least this one didn't actually have a type of pasta in it! I was quite happy with this recipe. I can guarantee that I will make it again in the very near future! I'm starting to get on an eggplant kick lately. I've used it a few times in the past, but I can't remember when I've used it two weeks in a row like I have this time! It is hard to describe the flavor of eggplant, but it is really good, healthy, (inexpensive), and you can make it in so many different ways. Give it a chance! I know you'll like it!

Enjoy!

Baked-Eggplant Parmesan

Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes  Yield: 8 servings

Olive oil, for baking sheets
2 large eggs
3/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan, plus 2 tablespoons for topping
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 large eggplants (2 1/2 pounds total), peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
6 cups (48 ounces) store-bought chunky tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush 2 baking sheets with oil; set aside. In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and 2 tablespoons water. In another bowl, combine breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan, oregano, and basil; season with salt and pepper.
2. Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, letting excess drip off, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture, coating well; place on baking sheets. Bake until golden brown on bottom, 20 to 25 minutes. Turn slices; continue baking until browned on other side, 20 to 25 minutes more. Remove from oven; raise oven heat to 400°F.
3. Spread 2 cups sauce in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Arrange half the eggplant in dish; cover with 2 cups sauce, then 1/2 cup mozzarella. Repeat with remaining eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted, 15 to 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home