Thursday, August 23, 2012

Asparagus Pasta


This recipe will definitely go on my list of things to make again very soon! What a tasty meal! I know it doesn't look like a whole lot in the picture, but don't let your eyes deceive you - this was really, really good!

This is supposed to be a vegetarian meal, which I had every intention of keeping it that way, but at the last minute I made the decision to throw some shrimp in there. I was going to be working out right before dinner, and I wanted to have more protein in the dish. The addition of the shrimp was terrific, but I could tell that it would have been just as good without it.

The sauce is what really tied everything together. It gave the meal a very light, refreshing, feel and taste to it. I added a little extra lemon juice than what the recipe called for. I made it as instructed, but I didn't think the lemon flavor was coming through enough, so I just added, mixed, and tasted until I had it just how I wanted it. Delicious! I also didn't shave my asparagus stalks - I just chopped them up.

My husband is actually the one that cooked this meal tonight! I have found a group to run with on Wednesday nights. They meet at 6:30pm, so it is about 7:30pm by the time I get home. I did some prep work before I left, but he put it all together, and he said it was very easy and didn't take hardly any time at all! This really is an excellent easy, healthy, no fuss dinner that the whole family will enjoy!

Asparagus Pasta

Total time: about 20 minutes  Yield: 4 servings

4 servings penne pasta
10 large asparagus stalks (about 1/2 pound) - at Food Lion, they sell asparagus by the bunch, and I just used that whole bunch
1/2 cup green onions, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
Coating:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
zest from one lemon
1/2 cup basil, loosely packed
1/4 cup garlic scapes
1/4-1/2 cup Parmesan (optional)

1. Using either a mandolin or vegetable peeler, shave asparagus into strips. Cut tips off and either toss in pasta dish or save for later use.
2. Begin boiling a large pot of water with a pinch of salt.
3. In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in green onions and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in asparagus, cover, and continue to cook, stirring frequently until tender.
4. While asparagus cooks, combine ingredients for coating in a small food processor and pulse until well combined adding more olive oil or lemon juice as needed.
5. Once the water is boiling, add in the pasta. Once pasta is cooked, drain and add to the pan of cooked asparagus along with the basil coating.
6. Serve with an extra sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and basil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home