Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sweet Potato and Spinach Burrito


For a vegan burrito, this was pretty good!

It had a great flavor to it. But, if I were to make it again, I would mix the sweet potato and black bean mixture all together and then fill the burrito shell. By putting a layer of sweet potato and then a layer of the black bean mixture, I got a few bites that were just chock-full of sweet potato and it was a little much. However, I should say that I didn't actually measure out how much sweet potato puree I made, so I could have made too much...

But aside from the few mouthfuls of sweet potato (and don't get me wrong, I love sweet potatoes, but I think there is a thing as too much) -- aside from that, the combination of all of the ingredients was excellent! The chipotle powder added a nice touch to the blend of flavors. Like I said, if I could go back and do this over again, I would definitely mix everything together before stuffing the tortillas. You live and you learn!

Make sure to check out the blog that this recipe came from to see how to make the sweet potato puree.

Sweet Potato and Spinach Burrito

Total time: 25 minutes  Yield: 2 servings

2 whole wheat tortillas
1-1 1/2 cup sweet potato puree
1/2-1 tsp chipotle powder
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1/4 cup green pepper, diced
1/2 cup black beans (if using canned, drain)
1 large handful spinach
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
2 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice

1. Make sweet potato puree and mix in chipotle powder. Taste and adjust the chipotle seasoning - use cautiously, it can be hot! Set aside.
2. In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in onions and peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes or until onions become translucent. Stir in black beans and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Finally, add in spinach, cilantro, and lime juice cooking until spinach becomes slightly wilted.
3. To finish the burrito I use my panini press pan. Place 1/2 the sweet potato mixture in the center of the tortilla and add a few spoonfuls of the spinach/black bean mixture on top. Roll and place them seem side down on the heated-up press. Heat for 1-2 minutes, flip, and heat until both sides have slightly browned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home