Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Beef and Rice Casserole


I have only done a few crock pot meals in the past, but have generally steered away from them because I haven't had much success with the ones that I've tried. I'm not sure what it was, but I just didn't really like the few crock pot recipes that I've tried before. This dish has changed my way of thinking! For only five ingredients and hardly any effort, this was delicious!

You can't go wrong with this recipe! Again, for only five ingredients, this dish was packed with flavor. I did end up adding a little more salt than the recipe called for, and I also added some black pepper as it was cooking. I put the slow cooker on low, as instructed, but the rice was already cooked through after 4 hours, so I just kept adding a little water and stirring everything up over the next 2 hours until we were ready to eat. That worked just fine! The hardest part about this recipe was the fact that the house smelled amazing all afternoon as it cooked in the crock pot and I had to keep myself from going into the kitchen over and over and stealing little bites.

Enjoy!

Six Ingredients or Less
Published by CJ Books in 2001.

Total time: 6-7 hours  Yield: 8 servings

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of celery soup
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 teaspoon salt

1. In a medium skillet, brown ground beef and onion; drain. Place in slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients along with 2 soup cans of water. Cover and cook on low 6 to 7 hours, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, but not overcooked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home