Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tasty Italian Chicken with Creamy Noodles


I guarantee this dinner can look better than it does in this picture and turn out very delicious. This isn't my best post.

I just spent the last 20 minutes typing in here about my frustrating afternoon and evening that led up to my slightly disappointing dinner, then decided that you probably don't want to read about that kind of stuff, so I deleted it! That kind of stuff isn't fun to read! I do wish I had a better story to tell about this recipe though.

As I stated at the beginning, I do believe that this recipe can look and taste better than my version turned out. I forgot to buy an onion, I had no minced garlic when I threw my butter in the heated saucepan, my timing got off with the different pots on the stove, my noodles weren't creamy, my chicken was dry. It just didn't taste good. Everything piling up through the afternoon and evening may or may have resulted in some watery eyes at the dinner table. Luckily, I have an incredibly amazing husband (who was sweet enough to pour a little extra wine in my glass after dinner). My husband, plus some funny tv, has raised my spirits, and I can now say that I WILL do this recipe again. It may not be next week, or next month, but I will make it again and next time I will ROCK at it!!

I'm in the process of reading through My Life in France, an autobiography by Julia Child, and it is absolutely amazing. I slip into a different world when I read this book. One thing she always said when something went wrong with her cooking was, "eh bien, tant pis!" Translation: oh well, too bad! So, to this recipe, I say, "eh bien, tant pis!" I will do it again, and it will be awesome! I hope that you give this recipe a try, because I really do believe that it can turn out delicious, and enjoy it!

Tasty Italian Chicken with Creamy Noodles
Taste of Home: Everyday Light Meals
Published by Reiman Media Group, LLC in 2010.

Tasty Italian Chicken
Prep/Total time: 30 min  Yield: 6 servings

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/8 tsp paprika, divided
3 tsp olive oil, divided
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 pounds chicken tenderloins

1. In a small sauce pan, saute onion and 1/8 tsp paprika in 1 tsp oil until tender. Stir in the water, tomato paste, bay leaf, bouillon and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, Parmesan cheese, salt, garlic powder, oregano and remaining paprika. Add chicken; seal bag and shake to coat.
3. In a large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook half of the chicken in 1 tsp oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm; repeat with remaining chicken and oil. Discard bay leave from sauce. Serve over chicken.

Creamy Noodles


Prep/total time: 25 minutes  Yield: 6 servings

8 oz uncooked thin spaghetti
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp butter, divided
6 oz fat-free cream cheese, cubed
3 tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
3 tbsp fat-free milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/4 tsp white pepper
4 1/2 tsp minced fresh parsley

1. Cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute garlic in 1 tsp butter under tender. Add the cream cheese, sour cream, milk, salt, onion power, Cajun seasoning, pepper and remaining butter. Cook and stir over low heat just until smooth (do not boil). Remove from the heat.
2. Drain spaghetti; toss with cream sauce. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home