Sunday, January 8, 2012

Crab Cakes


I have lived in Eastern North Carolina for about 8 years now, but I feel like last night I had a taste of true Eastern Carolina culture. Last night for dinner we went to Sunny Side Oyster Bar in Williamston, NC. Sunny Side Oyster Bar is a very unique establishment. After a journey through some back country roads, you come across what some might call a hole-in-the-wall, but those that have eaten there know that it is a real gem of a restaurant. The whole atmosphere was unique, but the oysters were amazing! You sit at a horseshoe bar, order any of the four items on the menu (all steamed out back behind the restaurant) and converse with the shuckers behind the bar as they shuck your freshly steamed oysters (our guy has been doing this for 40 years) and you enjoy your plump, juicy oysters. Some of the best oysters I've ever had!

Anyways, long story short, I was still on a seafood kick today after our amazing dinner last night, so I decided to go with these crab cakes. I must say, I made an excellent decision! :-) My husband and I were both pretty blown away with these crab cakes.






Man, look at that crab meat! These crab cakes were just bursting with crab! This recipe came from a cookbook that my brother gave me for Christmas, and I have been completely fascinated as I've read through it (call me a dork, but I like to read through cookbooks like normal people like to read regular books). This cookbook, The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook, is something everyone should own. 

The authors mention that about 30-40 years ago, the crab cake was more about the cake than the crab. However, people are moving away from that nowadays. Now, it's all about the crab, but a cook also shouldn't be afraid of some slight seasoning and breading. This recipe was the absolute perfect combination of crab meat, breading and seasonings. All was right in the world as we ate these crab cakes. As I already mentioned, these cakes were just bursting with crab meat, but the blend of seasonings was just the right touch to add to the cakes without taking away from the flavor of the crab. Absolute perfection.

The authors also mention that when buying crabmeat, look for fresh crabmeat in plastic containers, rather than crabmeat found in cans. The cans add unpleasant flavors to the meat, according to the authors. The recipe is very easy to follow, and you are surely missing out if you don't make these. I know I've said that before, but this is the real deal tonight! 

I assumed the crab cakes would be a little rich, so I decided to fix a simple salad to go as a side to the crab cakes. I've been trying to move more and more away from canned, frozen and boxed products and buy fresh products as often as possible. For example, today I got fresh parsley and chopped it myself instead of using the parsley seasoning sitting in my cupboard. Also today, I got a fresh head of green lettuce instead of buying a bag of salad mix. (Isn't my salad pretty in the pictures?) You can really tell a big difference when using fresh products. I highly recommend it!

These crab cakes are an absolute MUST. You must make them! You will be blown away with the flavor and pure deliciousness packed into each cake. Enjoy!

Crab Cakes
Published by W. W. Norton & Company in 2006.

Total time: 50 minutes  Yield: 4 servings (eight cakes)

3/4 pound picked jumbo lump or lump backfin crabmeat
3 tablespoons high-quality store-bought mayonnaise; such as Duke's or Hellemann's
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh bread crumbs
2 heaping tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons minced green onion
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon peanut oil or canola oil, plus more if needed
1 lemon, cut into wedges, for garnish

1. Place the crabmeat in a large bowl. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, green onion, salt, and pepper and gently fold the ingredients together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until they're thoroughly incorporated. Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Add the egg and fold it into the mixture.
2. Using a 2 1/4-inch cookie cutter, mold the crab mixture into 8 cakes. Wrap them in plastic wrap, 2 at a time. Apply gentle pressure to flatten the cakes slightly, and let them rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
4. Remove the crab cakes from the refrigerator and unwrap. Place the oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or sauté pan and heat over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, transfer 4 of the cakes to the skillet, taking care not to crowd them in the pan. Sauté until gently browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel and repeat with the remaining 4 cakes, adding more oil to the pan if it is too dry. Place all the crab cakes in a medium baking pan and bake until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
5. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve with Summer-Herbed Grits (page 148) or a simple green salad. Pass around a ramekin of Lee Bros. Tartar Sauce (page 526).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home