Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Bangers & Mustard Mash



You just can't NOT have a beer when eating something called "Bangers & Mash". They just go together! (Besides, I beasted it in my hour long Body Combat class tonight, so I'd say I more than earned it!) :-)

Ohhhh boy this was yummy... This was the first time I have ever put Dijon mustard in my mashed potatoes - this is genius! It was like everything around me became just a little bit brighter. I didn't use the whole-grain mustard or dry mustard. I kind of half forgot to get those two items and half didn't bother adding them to my grocery list because I didn't have any other uses for them right now and didn't feel like buying them. The potatoes turned out just fine! Quite amazing, actually! Since I left out the other two types of mustard, I added a little extra Dijon mustard. The potatoes were so incredible! Everyone everywhere should always add Dijon mustard to their mashed potatoes from now on.

Before I leave the potatoes, I used skim milk instead of whole milk, and I didn't do the whole process of placing the potatoes in a heat-proof bowl and keeping them hot after I finished making them. I just planned everything out so that the potatoes and sausage would be done at the same time.

The sausage was also really good! I bought Smoked Turkey Sausage (the turkey helped make this meal a little healthier), so it had a lot of flavor on its own. Dinner was late tonight, so I didn't feel like messing with the grill, so we just heated the sausage up on the stove. The sausage and potatoes were both very delicious!

Well folks, I think this is going to be a short post tonight. I'm exhausted! All you need to know is that this meal is amazing and you should give it a try when you have a big appetite!

Bangers & Mustard Mash
Barefoot Contessa How Easy is That?
Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers in 2010.

Yield: 4-6 servings

2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
Kosher salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
1/2 cup whole milk
4 ounces crème fraîche
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds fresh veal or chicken sausages

1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with 1 tablespoon of salt and enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until the potatoes are very tender. Drain the potatoes in a colander and return them to the saucepan. Add the butter, milk, and crème fraîche and beat the potatoes in the pan with a handheld mixer until very smooth and creamy. Add a little extra milk if they're too stiff. Mix in the Dijon mustard, whole-grain mustard, dry mustard, 1 tablespoon salt, and the pepper. Place the potatoes in a heat-proof bowl set over simmering water and keep hot for up to 30 minutes, until ready to serve. (You may need to add more hot milk from time to time.)
2. Meanwhile, prepare a grill with hot coals or heat a gas grill to medium-high and cook the sausages for about 5 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate, wrap with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
3. To serve, mound a generous portion of potatoes on a dinner plate and top with grilled sausages that have been cut in half diagonally.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home