Monday, January 30, 2012

Spicy Pasta with Sweet Potatoes



The other week, one of my old roommates posed a challenge to me. She said that she was tired of normal sweet potato recipes and wanted to know if I had any suggestions. I did some research and looked through some recipes, then while I was at one of my best friend's houses back home, her mom showed me their family's recipe collection and pointed out this sweet potato recipe. (Thanks Mama Ann!) The list of ingredients immediately sparked my curiosity to try it out!

This was amazing! It is a very interesting combination of flavors. My husband and I agreed that this was nothing like anything we've ever had before. Definitely not your ordinary sweet potato recipe!

This recipe was very delicious! When you take a bite, you first get the flavor of the peanut butter up front and then a second or two later the spicy flavor of the chili powder and chili sauce comes through. A subtle sweetness lingers the whole time. It was very incredible! As I already said, it was a combination of flavors that neither of us have ever experienced before, but we were very impressed! (You can find the chili sauce in the Asian section of the grocery store - I was even able to find it in Food Lion.)

It was really easy to put together and didn't take much time at all. A great, quick weeknight meal! I didn't have any rigatoni but I did already have small shells, so I just used those instead. I was a little worried that the chili powder and chili sauce would make the dish too super crazy spicy hot, but while there was a nice spicy flavor, it was just the right amount of a kick and wasn't overpowering. It was sooooo good!

I HIGHLY recommend this recipe!!

Spicy Pasta with Sweet Potatoes
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/pasta/spicy-pasta-with-sweet-potatoes/

Total time: 30 minutes  Yield: 4 servings

1 12 ounce sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon sugar, chili powder, and cinnamon
8 ounces dried rigatoni
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 3 ounce package cream cheese, cut up
2 teaspoons Asian chili sauce (such as Siriacha sauce)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
6 green onions, thinly sliced

1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Oil a rimmed baking pan; set aside. Place sweet potato cubes in bowl. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, the sugar, chili powder, and cinnamon. Spread in prepared pan; bake 20 minutes or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup hot pasta water.
3. In saucepan combine peanut butter, cream cheese, chili sauce, and soy sauce; whisk in 3/4 cup of the hot pasta water. Stir over medium heat until heated through. If too thick, stir in additional water. Stir in most of the green onions. Serve sauce over pasta with sweet potatoes and remaining onion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home